Friday, May 8, 2009

The last time

We seem to take great care in remembering and documenting all the firsts in our kids lives. First steps, first words, first day of school, the list goes on. But the lasts are really just as special and just as worthy of documenting. The problem is that you don't always know it's the last time until the moments are passed. I don't remember the last time I rocked Reagan to sleep, the last time Cooper held my hand to cross the street, the last time I washed Hudson's hair. If I had known those times would be the last time, would I have taken a little more time? Maybe not rushed through that moment to move on to the next task? Probably. There is definitely something to be said for living in the moment and savouring where you are at.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Today was one of the lasts that won't be forgotten. I've been to the preschool Mother's Day Tea 6 years in a row and I've never gotten tired of it. Each one has been special and has usually brought with it a tear or two. Taggart and I attended my very last one this morning. For the last six years, the format of the morning really hasn't changed much. A song or two by the preschoolers, the teacher reads out some things that the kids have said about their Moms (always cute and sometimes really funny), we are pampered with a massage and a pedicure, and then served a snack. Tag was really sweet the whole time and took the act of treating me special very seriously. I am definitely trying to store this one into my memory for a long time. The sweetness of his smile and the feeling of his warm little hands as he rubbed the lotion into my legs. A very special 'last', just as important as any 'first'.
A perfect shoulder massage
Finally "cheesing" me after I kept asking him to look at the camera. He was very intense as he painted my toes. This one cracks me up.Thanks buddy. Love you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just last week I was thinking about how I couldn't remember the last time I had carried my youngest and how sad it was that I didn't know at the time that it would be the last time.

You sure got spoiled at the tea! I'd like to get in on some special treatment like that.

Anonymous said...

You will miss these Mom's teas. I love Taggart's new hair!! and his 'not really smiling - just cheesing you to please you Mom' look is priceless!! Love, Leni