Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Olympic spirit is burning brightly here

I think we have to thank Hudson for bringing the excitement of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games into this house.

Way back in October of 2008, when we were in Whistler for the weekend, Hudson bought his first Olympic mascot with his own money. And his excitement and interest in all of it has just been building since then.

He now has all four mascots and a blanket. He surrounds himself in 'Olympic-ness' every night.
He already knows that we won't make him go to Friday Night Basketball this week because the Opening Ceremonies are on TV.

So when I found out that the torch was coming through Abbotsford, I think I always knew that Hudson would have to be there. At first, I thought we would just go set up along the roadside of the route at some point and wave at it as it ran past. I was really trying to avoid the massive crowds that I knew would be at Rotary Stadium where the torch was coming for the ceremony.

But as the day got near, I realized that Hudson should be there. Reagan and Taggart really wanted to go too. Cooper and Tony decided that SuperBowl was more important and didn't want to brave the crowds anyway.

So we were there to watch it all go down. We grabbed some friends and claimed our spot in the stands early. We had snacks, hot chocolate, blankets and we had a great time.

I have to admit I was a little worried about being there in the cold, possible rain, and all those people trying to keep all the kids from getting lost. But they did great and I am so glad we were there. Here are the highlights:Not the greatest shot - but there it is.
Hudson is definitely the biggest, biggest reason we were there. So thankful that it worked out for him and he was so happy the whole night. So worth it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you are getting caught up in the Olympic spirit - when they talk about it here I am always so proud that Vancouver seems to be doing a fantastic job in welcoming everyone!! Well done Hudson and go Canada!!! Love, Leni