Saturday, June 2, 2012

Alone play


I'm not sure what it is about the sound of a child playing alone, lost in their own imagination, that is so lovely to me. It has always been something that has brought me joy.
 I used to hear it a lot when Cooper was little. He was the best at playing alone, and still is actually. The other three have always so been used to others around that I think that is the way they like it best. Taggart actually has a really hard time being alone. He wants a friend to come over every day after school, and with all the neighborhood friends he usually gets his wish. As soon as one friend goes, he immediately searches out another one.
Last night at 5:00 his friends went home. I told him that he couldn't play with another friend because it was almost dinner time. I wouldn't even let him go see Nana, even after he asked me a dozen more times. He was mad.....really mad. He told me I 'never let him play with his friends!'  ??? I didn't respond but instead watched him stomp (he has the stomp down pat, he's practiced it a lot) off to his room where I dare say, he played alone.
This morning I woke up to a little voice making all kinds of play alone noises. You know the ones...bombs exploding, people running, airplanes flying. I found him in his room carrying on from yesterday. It didn't last long but is made me stop at his door and spy on him for a while. Best of all, I know now his is capable of alone play and I have a photo to prove it. I can use this when he wants the fourth friend of the day to come over.

No comments: