Friday, July 20, 2007

Welcome home, Coop!


Today my big boy has returned. Just tucked him into bed after picking him up at camp. I love that they go to camp - the same camp I went to as a kid. I love driving up there and the feeling I get when I'm there. I don't even know how to put it into words but I guess I just have so many great memories of time spent there. Eventhough I can't remember any of my counselor's names nor any of the kids I shared a cabin with, I think it is just such a general memory of happiness and what it's like to be a kid. Today when I saw Cooper at his cabin just hanging out I had this feeling of just wanting to be taken back in time so I could relive that. But really what is so cool is that I can relive it through their eyes and their experiences.

I really missed him this week. Not the first couple of days but today especially, I kept thinking 'I get to see Cooper today.' It's a good feeling to have and one that I never get to experience. It is a conversation Tony and I have had a lot. I need the opportunity to miss the kids - I am with them so much and a day away here or there is really not enough to really miss them. I missed Cooper and it was great drive back together (we left the other kids at home). I realized tonight how grown up he is becoming and how independent he can be, but yet how happy he was to see us and to be at home again. Tonight was a great night with Cooper and I don't want to forget it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You bring tears to my eyes - I know exactly what you are feeling!

Anonymous said...

Cooper looks great and look at the broken chair behind him! I am sure that chair was there when I was there. Obviously I know what you mean Heidy!
Missing your kids - it is like being given the chance to miss anyone you see on a very regular basis - it gives you the opportunity to look forward to the reunion. Love you Heidy, Leni