Thursday, May 8, 2008

Mother's Day Tea

This morning I attended my fifth preschool Mother's Day Tea. Because the school and the teachers are the same the format of the morning tends to be the same. But it is such a special and cute time. I don't think I've ever gotten through one without a few tears.
Today was no exception. Something about these little 3 and 4 year-olds saying sweet and funny things about their Moms that chokes me up.
It started with Tag greeting me at the door and then leading me to a seat at one of the tables. He even pulled the chair out for me. I'd like to think it was because he is a natural gentleman, but it was probably something he was told to do. Then we were entertained by a few songs about Mommies. Then he brought me a shoe (an old one of mine that I was asked to bring in a week before) with a flower planted in it, and a sweet card he had made me. (Love that smirk)
Then the teacher read out the answers that the kids had given her on a previous day to the prompt "My mom is special because..."
Tag's answer (word for word): you make me breakfast like cereal, but you don't buy Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Frosted Flakes! I don't get that! You let me play with Nana downstairs. But you let me go somewhere really special on my birthday, like Castle Fun Park."
I love the "I don't get that". Cereal and the kinds we have and don't have has been quite an issue around here lately and obviously he took that to school with him. The teacher came to me after and told me about when he was talking to her about it. She said he really thought about it for a long while and that he just couldn't figure out why I wouldn't buy him the cereal he wanted. He's just so funny. When you ask him anything, you never get a quick, straight answer. You might as well pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable because you are in for an earful.
Then I was treated to a pedicure. He was so meticulous in his application that everyone was already on to eating snack and he was still on his first foot. Everytime he got any on my skin he had to get a kleenex and wipe it off - so cute.
We finally got to the snack and he served me mine while I let me nails dry. He really enjoyed snack. It is such a fun morning to spend with my preschooler. I've done it five times now and next year will be my last. A sure guarantee of a few more tears.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the shoe idea and the pedicure is soooo cute!! I was glad there was a photo of you too Heidy - love the hair!! Leni