Monday, October 15, 2007

"On"

Today, I was the kind of mom I want to be almost all day long.



Wish all days were like that.



But some days I'm "on" and some days I'm "off".



Started the day with getting up when my alarm went off instead of hitting 'snooze' 3 or 4 times first. This results in me being pretty much ready when the kids get up and therefore I'm there to help them so we can all get out of the house on time - which we did.



Even ahd time to throw in a load of laundry before we left.



Had plans to head to Walmart with Tag after I walked the kids to school. Jackie (my lovely neighbor) invited Tag to go to the family center with her and Deja (lovely neighbor's daughter) so I was off to Walmart on my own.



Stopped at Starbucks for a Caramel Macchiato.



Got all my shopping done and stopped to return a movie we had rented. I had tried to return this movie 2 weeks prior just to discover that the DVD was still in our player at home and I was returning an empty case. Today I tried again and realized for a second time that the DVD still wasn't in the case. I guess the kids figured if I wasn't going to return the movie they might as well watch it again. Thank goodness for 'no late charges'.



Came home with enough time to switch the laundry before walking back up to school to pick up Reagan and Kira (neighbor's other daughter) from kindergarten. We walked home in the rain while the two of them sang kindergarten songs. Very cute.



Kira and Deja ended up having lunch with us and playing with Tag and Reagan while I spent some time making up a 'chore chart' for the kids. Talked a lot this weekend about having more responsibilites around here so Mom doesn't have to do everything and can spend more quality time with them.



They seemed receptive to the idea so I am devising a chart to hang up so they can see what they need to do. Couldn't finish it because I ran out of velcro so this means another trip to Walmart tomorrow.



Walked up to school again at 2:30 to pick up Hudson and Cooper. Cooper brought home a friend and Hudson went to a friends.



Made a yummy Shepherds Pie for dinner that everyone enjoyed except Tony who had to work late.



Found Cooper trying to pick something out of the pocket of his jeans. Silly Putty that had now gone through the wash. So I asked him to go change his pants and I spent 10 or 15 minutes picking it out. I told him it needed to be put back into its container.



Found him later reading on the couch with the silly putty laying beside him (not in a container). Told him again to put it away - didn't want to pick it out of the furniture.



Found him again minutes later with it still laying around and I told him if I saw it again it would be in the garbage.



The kids spent the rest of the evening reading and playing happily.



Tony got home around 7:30, just in time for bedtime.



Walked in on Cooper in his room with the Silly Putty hanging off the front of his shirt (he didn't know it was there).



What's that? I said



Busted.



That's it, I said, it goes in the garbage.



Now, I know that I shouldn't threaten with things that I will have a hard time following through on. So there were tears as I knew there would be. He loves his Silly Putty. I had to take it because that was my threat.



I didn't throw it in the garbage, but he thinks I did and I guess that's enough. One day when he is being particularily lovely I will probably give it back. I'm not sure that is the right thing to do, but I know myself well enough to know that is what I will do.



Sometimes it is really hard being the Mom that I want to be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was laughing so hard about the silly putty!

Anonymous said...

Oh Cooper!!! you are a bit of a goofy. Some lessons are hard aren't they?

I love shepherds pie!! Could you make it for me when I come to visit?

Love, Leni